By Mike Thayer
Here's a great recipe if you're on a tight grocery budget, costing less than $10 to prepare.
And tight budget or not, this is just a flat out great grilled hot dog recipe!
Stuffed hot dawgs
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked ham or luncheon meat
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 package of all beef hot dogs
- 8 to 10 slices of bacon
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)
Mix the first six or seven ingredients. Slit the hot dogs, cutting them almost end-to-end and about ¾ the way through. Stuff with the ham mixture. Wrap the stuffed hot dogs with bacon and secure with tooth picks on each end. Grill over hot coals, giving them ¼ turns and brushing them with BBQ sauce (and optional BBQ/Louisiana Hot Sauce blend) until the bacon is crisp. Serve in toasted garlic buttered hot dog buns. And um, don't forget to remove the toothpicks.....